There are 10 steps that everyone should take immediately following a car accident.
- CALL 911;
- WHILE ON THE PHONE, tell the operator what part of your body hurts (this will help EMS know how/what to expect when arriving);
- If able, move your vehicle to a safe location;
- If possible, stay in your vehicle until police or emergency personnel arrive;
- Tell both the police and the medical personnel if you feel injured, even if just a soreness or tightness. These injuries often get worse later that day or the next day, but insurance companies will hold reports of no injuries against you;
- Obtain the at-fault driver’s contact information and insurance information, including policy numbers and company name;
- Keep track of all witnesses’ contact information and if possible, take a photograph of each person’s driver’s license;
- Report the claim to your insurance company as soon as possible (many require immediate notice to provide coverage if an at fault driver is uninsured or underinsured;
- DO NOT provide any statements to the at fault driver’s insurance company until you speak with an attorney;
- If you feel injured, seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
Keep in mind these are just the basics. Navigating the insurance claims process is not easy, nor is it fast- especially while injured. Our firm always recommends consulting an attorney to help with the process. For more information feel free to contact us at (770) 330-3415.